When I shared this pound cake photo over at facebook and instagram, some readers actually enquire what's the different between "pound and butter cake". To simplify it, Pound Cake is usually dense with only liquid from the eqqs and the flavor is mainly butter or extra citrus rinds or vanilla extract. Whereas for Butter Cake contains fat (butter, margarine, shortening) and leavener such as baking powder or self-raising flour for their fluffy texture and flavour.
ORANGE POUND CAKE WITH DRIED FRUITS
This pound cake recipe requires to beat the eggs and sugar till thick and creamy which is about triple in volume. And in order to achieve the ribbon-like pattern when the beaters are lifted, the double-boiler method is used where the mixing bowl is placed over a pan of simmering/hot water. In the way, the heat at the bottom helps to melt the sugar during the beating process and the eggs also passed through various stages during beating from foamy to light and aerated and finally thickens.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (degree Celsius). Sift cake flour and cornflour together and set aside.
2. Using an electric beater, beat eggs and sugar over a pot of hot water (about 80 degree) until thick and creamy.
3. With a balloon whisk, stir in sieved flours into the egg mixture until well combined.
4. Add in melted butter and orange rind, stir till combined before tossing in the cranberry and raisin.
5. Give the mixture a quick stir, divide it into baking tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or when a skewer insert in the center and comes out clean.
Everyone of us love this Orange Pound Cake which is soft, moist, fine in texture as well as having that "melt in your mouth" effect due to the added Cornflour. So this recipe is definitely a keeper for us, on the other hand you could be creative to come up with different flavour such as matcha pound cake, milk tea pound cake or etc.