Actually there are a few version in preparing this stuffed chicken wing dish. The Thai style version often used ground meat and water chestnut as filled while some will replaced it with minced shrimp. Here I am using Steamed Glutinous Rice as stuffing which is much filling. The rice filling is yummy but you need to spend sometime to steam the glutinous rice, stuffing the de-bone chicken wings then deep-fry them.
12 Chicken Wings, wings part and debone
1/2 - 3/4 Cup of Glutinous Rice, soak for at least 3 hrs
2 Mushroom, soak and finely diced
1/4 Carrot, finely diced
1 - 2 Shallots, finely diced
1 Stalk Spring Onion, finely diced
1.5 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Five Spices Powder
Dash of Pepper
Dash Of Sesame Oil
70 - 100ml Water, used the water from the mushroom
1. Preheat frying pan with oil, saute shallots until fragrant then add in the mushroom and continue to fry for another minute then pour in glutinous rice and carrots.
2. Give it a few stirs for half a minute then add in the seasoning except the sesame oil.
3. Stir for another minute until the seasonings is well mixed. Dish up into a steaming plate or bamboo basket and steam for about 40 minutes or until rice is soft and tender.
4. When the rice is done, stir in the spring onion, sesame oil, some pepper and light soy sauce to taste.
5. Cool the filling slightly before stuffing it into the chicken wing pocket. Coat them with beaten egg and corn flour then deep-fry until golden brown and serve.
Steps To Dedone Chicken Wings:
1. De-bone the chicken wings by bending backwards the joint between the drumstick and wing to loosen the tendons.
2. Then cut a ring around the top part of the drumstick and using a sharp knife, slowly scrape down against the bone to loosen the meat from the drumstick.
3. Always pushing back the skin as you scrape.
4. Now proceed to do that for the wing by first cutting off the bone of the drumstick and continue scraping down to the second joint, pushing back the skin and meat as you go.
5. Then carefully cut off the two bones of the wing and discard them.
6. Be careful not to pierce the chicken skin.
7. Repeat this for all the wings.
8. Now the chicken wings are ready for stuffing.
Notes: Marinated the chicken wing with some cornflour, pepper and light soy sauce for at least 30 minutes before stuffing in the glutinous rice.