It had being on my mind for some time and yet I am still considering whether a not to make an English Carrot Cake which I find the steps rather lengthy and etc. After some read up, I decide to try this Low Fat Carrot Cake recipe since it does not require any oil or butter.
Surprisingly the end result turns out good with a light and fluffy texture plus lemon and nutty scent which was rather different from the usual carrot cake which consists of cinnamon, walnut and cream cheese.
70g Plain Flour
35g Ground Almond Meal
100g Carrot, finely grated
1 Lemon Rind
3 Egg Yolks
35g Caster Sugar
3 Egg Whites
35g Caster Sugar
1 Tablespoon Of Raisin
1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Seeds
1. Remove the outer skin from the carrot and grate it finely using a grater.
2. Sieve flour and ground almond together and set aside.
3. Cream egg yolks and 40g sugar until light and creamy.
4. In another bowl beat egg white until foamy then gradually add in the sugar in a three batches and continue to beat until almost stiff peak form.
5. Stir in carrot and lemon rind into egg yolk batter then fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture until well combine.
6. Next gently fold in the remaining egg white till combined before folding in sieved flour mixture and raisin.
7. Transfer batter into a greased and flour loaf tin (25 x 9 x 6cm) and baked in preheated 170 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre and comes out clean. (at about 20 minutes after the baking time, scatter some pumpkin seeds on top of the cake and continue to bake till done)
8. Cool the cake overnight before cutting.
- I bake this recipe in two 18 x 7 x 4cm disposable cake mould for about 25 minutes