Perilla (紫苏/大叶) has a sweet flavour with the scent of plum. They are commonly used in Japanese Barbecue skewers, salads and sashimi. After searching for a longtime I finally managed to find this Perialla leave at Takashimaya Cold Storage which cost about $2.05 for packet of 10 Leaves.
300g Chicken Fillets
100g Asparagus or Carrot, cut into long strips
10 Perilla (紫苏/大叶) Leaves
1 Packet Lee Kum Kee Teriyaki Sauce
Ground White Pepper
1. Rinse chicken fillet, pat dry and sprinkle ground white pepper on it.
2. Cut asparagus or carrot into 5cm long strips; blanch them in hot water till slightly soften, rinse and drain well.
3. Lay chicken fillet flat, place perilla leaves on it, top with asparagus/carrot on each chicken fillet.
4. Roll up and fix the open end with a toothpick.
5. Heat oil in frying pan then shallow fry the chicken until cooked or golden brown.
6. Pour in half packet to 3/4 packet of Teriyaki Sauce with 2-3 tablespoon water and let it simmer for a few minutes till sauce thicken.
- You can used Japanese Eel Sauce instead of Teriyaki Sauce.
- To us; the taste of the Perilla has similar taste like Lemon Grass.