Saw this recipe from one of the TV show on 纵横中医三. In one part of this program, there is a cooking show teaching how to use Chinese herbs in our daily cooking to prepare nutrition and delicious dish. Below are some benefits of the herbs used:
罗汉果: Tastes sweet and of cool nature, it clears Heat, treats coughing and nourishes the intestine. e 玉竹: Nourishes Ying, moistens internal Dryness, stimulates Silva and quenches thirst. It heals coughing, treats bothersome thirsty, clears the internal Heat that harms Ying as well as Dryness and pain the throat.
1 Small Chicken, about 1.2kg
2 Luo Han Guo (罗汉果 ), removed shell
8 Red Dates (红枣)
2 Honey Dates (密枣)
4 Stalks Dang Sheng (当参), cut into slices
1/2 Tablespoon Wolfberries (杞子)
10g Yu Zhu (玉竹)
1 Tablespoon Honey
Few Stalks Spring Onion
Garnish & Sauce:
2 Slices Ginger, shredded
1 Stalk Spring Onion, shredded
1 Chill, deseed and shredded
1/2 Cup Water or Chicken Stock
1 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch Solution
1. Trim off excess fat from the chicken, rinse and pat dry then set aside.
2. Rinse all the herbs except Luo Han Guo then stuff them into the stomach of the chicken (if can't stuff all just spread some outside the chicken)
3. Rub the outer skin of the chicken with honey to keep it moist while steaming.
4. Put a few stalks of spring onion on the foil, place chicken on top.
5. Wrap the chicken tightly with the foil and steamed over medium heat for about 1 to 1.5 hour depend on the size of the chicken.
6. Remove chicken and cut it into serving pieces or half.
7. Preheat a pan with 1 teaspoon of oil then add in ginger and chilli, saute till fragrant.
8. Pour in 1/2 of the chicken stock then follow by the sauce from the steamed chicken.
9. When the mixture comes to boil, thicken it with cornstarch solution.
10. Pour sauce over the chicken and garnish with some spring onion and serve immediately.
- I used electric steamer to prepare this dish and it took about 1.5 hrs.
- The taste of the chicken is quite similar to the Luo Han Guo herbal tea which is very unique and refreshing.