So without hesitate, I bought some fresh popiah skin and start making some for our morning tea. After which when I posted this photo on my "Instagram", someone comment that it looks similar to one of their Philippines dessert which is known as Turon or Banana Lumpia. And when I did a Google, it shows that Turon is a Philippine snack made of thinly sliced bananas and a slice of jackfruit which dusted with brown sugar and rolled in spring roll wrapper and deep-fried.
DEEP-FRIED BANANA AND NUTELLA
WITH POPIAH SKIN
WITH POPIAH SKIN
(Make: 4 rolls | Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: 5 minutes)
4 Sheets Fresh Popiah Wrapper
2 Ripe Banana, half
Some Nutella, Peanut Butter or Japanese Mayonnaise
Method:-1. Place the popiah wrapper on a clean plate and position half of the banana on the lower 1/4 of the wrapper.
2. Spread some Nutella, Peanut Butter or Japanese Mayonnaise sauce on the banana (refer to the photo above).
3. Fold left and right corners of wrapper over filling, overlapping slightly (wrapper will resemble an open envelope).
4. Next dab top corner with some flour solution (1 tablespoon water + 1 teaspoon flour) then roll up wrapper away from you into a long thin roll, making sure ends stay tucked inside.
5. Repeat the steps with the remaining ingredients and deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown.
6. Remove, drain well and serve hot.
Lastly, if you are prefer something more "dim sum" alike, perhaps you can tried using red bean paste with banana, wrapped it and deep-fried. I am sure it taste as good as those with Nutella too!
Ellena, these popiah really looks so good, guess the kids will love it definitely!ReplyDelete
How interesting! Japanese mayonnaise in this fried banana? Japanese loves mayo, and I think I'll love these... hehee. Never used popiah wrapper before. I'll check out my Asian store!ReplyDelete
Hmm, sound so yummy!ReplyDelete
These are irresistible!ReplyDelete
At a glance I thought this was similar to something I done last Lunar New Year. Great idea to incorporate Nutella. Mine was blueberries jam and it bleed!ReplyDelete
Is the popiah skin same as those frozen skin from tee yih jia?ReplyDelete