We often have Watercress Soup at least once every two weeks. Sometime I will cook it with Pork Ribs and red dates but if the weather is hot and humit then i will add in some herbs to make it more cooling and good for the lungs. To me I find that cooking watercress with chicken the soup taste better compare to using pork ribs.
1 Bunch Of Watercress(西洋菜)
2 Chicken Drumsticks
4 Red Dates(红枣)
5-6 Dried Long Gan(龙眼干)
1 Teaspoon JiZi(杞子)
3 Dried Figs(无花果)
1/2 Tablespoon Sweet & Bitter Almond(南北杏)
1. Cut the Stalk Off from the Watercress and soak the leaves for about 5 minutes by changing two or three times of the water to rinse away all the dirts.
2. Rinse the stalk throughly then set aside for later used.
3. Wash, remove the skin and blanched the chicken drumsticks then rinse with water.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil, then add in the chicken, watercres stalk and all the herbs and bring to boil.
5. When boiled, turn to lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes then add in the leaves and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.