Thinking of what dessert to make this coming Chinese New Year
? Why not try this super easy Osmanthus And Chestnut Koi Jelly
which I am sure your guests would be impress with those cute and auspicious Koi Fish
(锦鲤) and Ingot
(元宝). With just 3 main ingredients such as Osmanthus Flower
, Konnyaku Jelly
and Water Chestnut
you could easily replicated this dessert which is similar to Osmanthus Cake (桂花糕) but in jelly form rather than cake.
OSMANTHUS AND CHESTNUT KOI JELLY
For this jelly dessert I did not add any food colouring and the "golden colour" effect comes from the natural colour of the Osmanthus flowers itself. So if your prefer a darker colour, you could either add in a teaspoon more of the Osmanthus flower or a few drops of yellow food coloring. But if you cannot get hold of any Osmanthus Flower or Konnyaku Jelly, you could try another flavour instead of Osmanthus using Lemongrass with a reference recipe here.
As for the Koi And Ingot jelly mould, you could get it from Kitchen Caper. I bought mine with 3 different assorted mould for S$5.00 during their festive promotion.
(Serves: 4-6 | Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 7 minutes)
- 1 Packet Red Man Brand Konnyaku Premix Jelly Powder
- 1200ml Water
- 3 - 4 Teaspoons Osmanthus Flower
- 1.5 Tablespoons Wolfberries, soaked till soften
- 8 Water Chestnuts, skin removed and diced
- 1 Knot of Pandan Leave, optional
1. In a pot, add 1200ml of water and bring to boil together with pandan leave for 3 minutes to infuse the water with pandan leave fragrance.
2. Lower the heat, add in osmanthus flowers and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes.
3. On the lowest heat, slowly stir in Konnyaku Jelly Powder using a balloon whisk or wooden spoon until powder fully dissolved. Turn off the heat and remove from stove.
4. Add 2 wolfberries (pre-soaked in water for 3 - 5 minutes till puff) and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of water chestnut in each jelly mould (refer to the photo above).
5. Slowly pour in jelly solution into the prepared mould. Cool and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm it before serving.
|Osmanthus And Chestnut Koi Jelly|
|Steam Osmanthus Cod Fish |
|Glutinous Red Date With Osmanthus Syrup |
|Huiji Steamed Pomfret With Osmanthus |
If you have no time to involve yourself in the kitchen, perhaps a cup of this refreshing Osmanthus Honey Tea (recipe) will be great to help smoothing your mood as well as detoxification and beauty maintenance.
|Osmanthus Honey Tea|
Lastly in order for those who are interested to try our Osmanthus Flower. I would be giving away 2 trial packet (4g each) of Osmanthus Flowers to 2 Lucky Readers to try out some of the related recipes that I have shared.
How To Win:-
1. Comment (on this post) which recipe with Osmanthus Flowers that you would like to try.
2. Click LIKE and SHARE the above photo over at Cuisine Paradise Facebook Page (here); AND
Leaving a comment (on facebook) that you have "Like And Share" the above.
Closing Date: 05 February 2013 (Tuesday), 12.00 NOON
*Giveaway is open to ALL READERS of Cuisine Paradise with a valid mailing address.
[Giveaway Result Updated on 05 Feb 2013]